RnB Legend, R. Kelly, was denied permission to host a concert in Springfield by officials in Illinois in the wake of the current sexual misconduct allegations trailing him.
Illinois Department of Agriculture spokeswoman Denise Albert told the Chicago Tribune that the application for the Spring Break Jam in April was denied on Thursday following security concerns after protesters clashed outside Kelly’s Chicago studio.
Kelly has denied all allegations of sexual misconduct involving women and underage girls after Lifetime aired a documentary “Surviving R. Kelly,” where a number of women including his ex-wife Andrea Kelly chronicled their alleged ordeal in the hands of the singer.
A call that Kelly was holding two women against their will prompted Chicago police to visit his residence Friday in Chicago’s Trump Tower. Officers interviewed him and the women but found no evidence of wrongdoing.
The new docuseries against Kelly, interviewed over 50 people, including dozens of women who accused the singer of abuse.
Kelly’s lawyer, Steven Greenberg, denied all of the allegations against the singer in an interview with ABC News last week. He called the series “crap” and said he and Kelly are considering filing a lawsuit for defamation of character.
“There are no underage victims. There are no sexual assault victims. There are no victims of domestic violence that they’re going to find,” Greenberg said. “It just didn’t ever happen.”
Lady Gaga was among a number of celebrities to recently speak out against R. Kelly. She apologized for recording a song with him in 2013 and said she supported the women featured in the Lifetime series. She said she would remove the song, “Do What U Want (With My Body),” from iTunes and streaming services.