When singer Seyi Shay dropped her first album, ‘Seyi or Shay’ back in November 2015, everyone knew we were in for something different. Following the start of her music career in London and being managed by Beyonce’s father, Matthew Knowles, Seyi was ready to take on the Nigerian music industry and leave an indelible mark.
Since then this vivacious performer has serenaded us with hits and hits and proven that she is here for the long hurl. Many of us have become familiar with her quick smile, but here are 10 facts you probably didn’t know about the ‘Irawo’ crooner.
1. Seyi Shay is born on December 21, 1985, in London, England to Nigerian parents. Christened Deborah Oluwaseyi Joshua, Seyi’s father is a native of Ife in Osun state while her mum was a northerner.
2. At the age of 6, she joined her secondary school choir. They later went on to perform at the London Community Gospel Choir in Japan.
3. She formed a girl group in the United Kingdom called “Boadicea” which was managed by Ron Tom. She later got signed to Flytime Promotions record label which was managed by Cecil Hammond.
4. She became the lead singer in 2009 for the pop girl group “From Above”. The group signed a record deal with Sony Columbia and was managed by Mathew Knowles.
5. Seyi is a songwriter, singer, recording artist, performer, and also a producer.
6. Seyi Shay once toured with Beyonce in her ‘I Am… World Tour’ in the year 2009
7. Seyi Shay released her first album in 2015.
8. She released another album earlier this year titled, Summer Vibe
9. She featured in her first Nollywood movie titled, ‘Lara And The Beat’ in 2018
10. She walked on the runway for Heineken Lagos Fashion Week in 2018