Connect with us

Headlines

Revealed! Full details of how kidnapped Lagos school children were released

Kidnapped four pupils and two teachers of Lagos State Model College, Igbonla Epe, were ferried to safety in two speedboats by their abductors on Tuesday, it was learned yesterday.

The victims – Abu, Emmanuel Okonkwo, Jeremiah Ruth, Isaac Adebisi – Junior School Vice Principal A. O. Oyesola and English teacher Lukman Oyerinde, were dropped off inside a forest where they trekked for over two hours before meeting their relatives.

According to TheNation, they were asked to walk in a line and not look back until they got to the point where family members had waited for over four hours.

The vice principal led the pack and the English teacher was asked to stay at the rear, leaving the
pupils in-between.

The victims were taken to the Epe General Hospital for check-ups.  Some of them were diagnosed with typhoid and malaria.

The father of one of the victims said:

“They spent many hours at the hospital and were later moved to a house in Epe where the principal addressed them.

“Two parents went to a designated place in Epe, where the kidnappers directed them to. They were at the place around 6pm and stayed there till about 10pm without any sign of the victims.

“As it was getting late, they said they were scared but had to remain there because that was the kidnappers’ instruction.  So, around 10:30pm, they showed up, saying they had trekked for over two hours.

“I received the kidnap news with rude shock and since then, my family has been disorganised. I was not staying in Epe. My wife and I relocated to Epe ever since the bad news broke.

“I thank God when I was called by 10:30pm to inform me that the victims have been released. When I arrived at the school, I saw my son alive.

“I was not afraid that something sinister might happen to them because I have been praying alongside with many other sympathisers and I have the assurance that they would come out alive. God has really done it.

“Let’s not talk of ransom, I did not pay any. I don’t know whether anyone paid. I did not pay. My joy is that my son and others are hale and hearty. I want to thank the state government and the police for the roles they played while the victims were in captivity.”

Ruth’s sister who spoke on condition of anonymity said:

“We suffered hell when we went to pay N1 million for our sick child. The kidnappers after two days of playing pranks with us dropped them off in the bush and gave them a description on how to come out to the road.

“Our joy knew no bounds when we saw our children and their teachers coming out alive. I was deeply involved because our child was described as being ill, but, not as ill as we were made to believe”

Police spokesperson Dolapo Badmos, a Superintendent (SP) said they were neither assaulted nor traumatised.

She stated that the medical examination carried out on the victims indicated that none of them was molested.

She said:

“They were released at about 11pm in the night. Our men from the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) and other units were on the ground to pick them. We would arrest the perpetrators soon. There is no hiding place for any criminal.”

Source – TheNation

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Headlines

Super Falcons striker, Asisat Oshoala, comes to Falz defence with regards to statement about glorifying fraudsters

Asisat Oshoala

Nigerian professional footballer, Asisat Oshoala, who plays as a forward in the Chinese Women’s Super league for Dalian Quanjian F.C., took to her Instagram to express deep concern about how people are now proud to be fraudsters.

 

 

In Falz’ defense, she insisted fraudsters shouldn’t be glorified.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police reacts to report of its officers collecting bribe with POS

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) on Wednesday, June 21, reacted to a viral video of an officer caught on camera using Point of Sale (POS) machine to collect bribe.

Many Nigerians had expressed dismay at the attitude of the officer, which they said represented the level of corruption in the Nigeria Police Force.

We gathered that Abayomi Shogunle, the Assistant Commissioner Of Police, Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit in a statement released on its Facebook page said the force once used handheld machines to verify vehicle registration details.

Police officer using handheld device to check registration details of a vehicle

Shogunle also asked anyone who at any time paid a bribe to a police officer using a POS to come forward with proof.

It was reported earlier that the incident reportedly took place on Tuesday, June 20, at Olowora Street, in Mafoluku area of Oshodi.

The Lagos state Police Command also dismissed the video footage making the rounds on social media about one of its officers using a Point-of-Sale machine popularly known as POS to extort a commercial motorcyclist.

PPRO ASP Olarinde Famous- Cole, the motorcycle rider, and policemen Involved

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, on Wednesday, June 21, said it was necessary to address the situation so as to clarify the account of how the incident in question was reported on various social media platforms.

He disclosed that the video, which drew the attention of well-meaning Nigerians, saw a police officer, attached to the Makinde Police Division, allegedly using a POS to extort a motorcyclist and his passenger on Olowora Street, Mafoluku in Oshodi area on June 20, 2017.

Famous-Cole in a statement said, “The Lagos state police command would like to inform the general public that none of its personnel is in use of a POS machine in any part of the state.”

“The command would also like to state that the officer in the video is being investigated and the commercial bike rider has given a factual account of the event that happened to justify the actions of the police officer.”

“The officer and his team on that fateful day accosted a commercial bike rider and passenger who had a bag on him. The passenger upon inquiry from the police officer about the contents of his bag brought out a POS machine and other documents.

“When asked why he was in possession of a POS, the passenger said his customers usually paid for their utility bills with the POS machine. The passenger was then asked to produce a form of identification which he did and was asked to go by the policeman that accosted him. Famous Cole Added

The PPRO, however, urged members of the public to verify information and its sources before use on social media to avoid misconceptions emanating from false information.

In a previous report,  two traffic wardens, Musa Muktar with force number 394120 GDI and Shuaibu Suleman with number 10627 were sacked for alleged extortion.

The announcement was made by ACP Abayomi Shogunle, the assistant commissioner of police in charge of the Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit (PCRRU), in Abuja on June 20, 2017.

The statement showed that the sacked officers were attached to the Wuse Police Division in the Federal Capital Territory Command.

Continue Reading

Headlines

“Even dead people signed my recall petition” – Dino Melaye alleges as he sues INEC

Dino Melaye

The Senator representing Kogi West in the house of assembly, Dino Melaye has dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, seeking an order stopping the ongoing process by his constituents to recall him.

The Embattled Senator revealed this on Twitter Friday evening, while also sharing a photo of a copy of the court paper.

Dino Melaye

He alleged that the recall letter collated and sent to INEC on Thursday were being signed by fictitious, dead and none existing persons in his senatorial district.

Dino Melaye

Continue Reading

Trending