Connect with us

Headlines

Emir of Katsina accused of marrying off 14-year-old girl to her kidnapper

Emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Usman have been accused of marrying off, 14-year-old Habiba Isiyaku to her kidnapper.

The 14-year-old who according to her father, Mal. Isiyaku Tanko was kidnapped from school, Government Senior Secondary School, Kudun Kankara, Kastina State by one Jamilu Lawal, has been forcefully converted to Islam and married off by the Emir without her parents concept.

Mal. Tanko who was made to present his case by the Stefanos Foundation at a press conference in Abuja, stated that Jamilu had not only admitted to abducting his daughter but also revealed that she is presently being kept at the Palace of the Emir of Katsina.

He added that the Emir had informed him that his daughter had been converted to Islam and he had received the sum of N50, 000.00 as dowry from Jamilu Ibrahim, he also said the Emir had informed him that he will marry Habiba off to Jamilu in accordance with Islamic rites and injunctions.

His words,
“My little girl was abducted on the 16th of August 2016 from her school. After my investigations, I discovered that Jamilu Lawal who lives in the same community was responsible for my daughters’ disappearance.

“I requested that a formal complaint about the incident be lodged to the Commissioner of Police in Kastina, Jamilu and his parents were summoned to the police station and he not only admitted to abducting my daughter Habiba but also revealed that she was presently being kept at the Palace of the Emir of Katsina.
“On arrival at the Palace, the Emir informed me that my daughter has been converted from Christianity to Islam henceforth, there is no longer any relationship between me and my daughter and we can no longer inherit each other.
“He further informed me that he has received the sum if N50, 000.00 as dowry from Jamilu Ibrahim for my daughter therefore, he will give her out in marriage in accordance with Islamic rites and injunctions.

He accused me of defaming him at the Police Station and I was threatened, intimidated and coerced to sign an apology drafted on my behalf in his Palace.
“As at today, I am aware that the Emir of Katsina has gone ahead to marry out my little girl without my consent, having received a dowry he is not entitled to receive, it fills me with so much pain and grief to realize that my daughter, who will turn 15 this Saturday the 15th may be celebrating her birthday in a forced marriage.
“I appeal to all well-meaning Nigerians and those in authority to help join hands to see that my daughter is released to me though the violations already done to her person may be irreversible. I further appeal that the Incident be well investigated and diligently prosecuted.”
Programme Coordinator for Stafanos Foundation, Mark Lipdo, a Non-Governmental Organization assisting the parents with the release of Habiba stated

“Habiba is a girl that just completed her Junior Secondary school and had very good grades, she had so much prospects only to be abducted, when her parents were invited to the Emirs palaceN she was brought out in a hijab and he told them that they no longer have any relationship with the girl anymore because she has been converted to Islam and that he the Emir of Katsina has now become the father of the girl and he can do whatever he wants with her.

“After a few days that the father was sent back, we followed with the Commissioner of Police to try to get the girl, we took a lawyer with us as Stefanos Foundation to stand with the parents to demand for their rights but the rights where denied, we petitioned the Inspector General (IG) of Police here in Abuja to see if he can secure the girls release but till date, he is yet to respond, we brought the parents to Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) for help, to see if they can help secure her release and they said that they will be following the matter up with the IG, but up till today, nothing, we have been in this town for three days now we have not heard anything from CAN and the IG.

“The girl is a minor and things like this has to stop happening in this country because if it continues, people are going to result to self-help because where a person has been told his right but he it has been deliberately refused it, if the person has any strength, he will result to self-help.”

The Nation

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Headlines

Super Falcons striker, Asisat Oshoala, comes to Falz defence with regards to statement about glorifying fraudsters

Asisat Oshoala

Nigerian professional footballer, Asisat Oshoala, who plays as a forward in the Chinese Women’s Super league for Dalian Quanjian F.C., took to her Instagram to express deep concern about how people are now proud to be fraudsters.

 

 

In Falz’ defense, she insisted fraudsters shouldn’t be glorified.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police reacts to report of its officers collecting bribe with POS

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) on Wednesday, June 21, reacted to a viral video of an officer caught on camera using Point of Sale (POS) machine to collect bribe.

Many Nigerians had expressed dismay at the attitude of the officer, which they said represented the level of corruption in the Nigeria Police Force.

We gathered that Abayomi Shogunle, the Assistant Commissioner Of Police, Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit in a statement released on its Facebook page said the force once used handheld machines to verify vehicle registration details.

Police officer using handheld device to check registration details of a vehicle

Shogunle also asked anyone who at any time paid a bribe to a police officer using a POS to come forward with proof.

It was reported earlier that the incident reportedly took place on Tuesday, June 20, at Olowora Street, in Mafoluku area of Oshodi.

The Lagos state Police Command also dismissed the video footage making the rounds on social media about one of its officers using a Point-of-Sale machine popularly known as POS to extort a commercial motorcyclist.

PPRO ASP Olarinde Famous- Cole, the motorcycle rider, and policemen Involved

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, on Wednesday, June 21, said it was necessary to address the situation so as to clarify the account of how the incident in question was reported on various social media platforms.

He disclosed that the video, which drew the attention of well-meaning Nigerians, saw a police officer, attached to the Makinde Police Division, allegedly using a POS to extort a motorcyclist and his passenger on Olowora Street, Mafoluku in Oshodi area on June 20, 2017.

Famous-Cole in a statement said, “The Lagos state police command would like to inform the general public that none of its personnel is in use of a POS machine in any part of the state.”

“The command would also like to state that the officer in the video is being investigated and the commercial bike rider has given a factual account of the event that happened to justify the actions of the police officer.”

“The officer and his team on that fateful day accosted a commercial bike rider and passenger who had a bag on him. The passenger upon inquiry from the police officer about the contents of his bag brought out a POS machine and other documents.

“When asked why he was in possession of a POS, the passenger said his customers usually paid for their utility bills with the POS machine. The passenger was then asked to produce a form of identification which he did and was asked to go by the policeman that accosted him. Famous Cole Added

The PPRO, however, urged members of the public to verify information and its sources before use on social media to avoid misconceptions emanating from false information.

In a previous report,  two traffic wardens, Musa Muktar with force number 394120 GDI and Shuaibu Suleman with number 10627 were sacked for alleged extortion.

The announcement was made by ACP Abayomi Shogunle, the assistant commissioner of police in charge of the Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit (PCRRU), in Abuja on June 20, 2017.

The statement showed that the sacked officers were attached to the Wuse Police Division in the Federal Capital Territory Command.

Continue Reading

Headlines

“Even dead people signed my recall petition” – Dino Melaye alleges as he sues INEC

Dino Melaye

The Senator representing Kogi West in the house of assembly, Dino Melaye has dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, seeking an order stopping the ongoing process by his constituents to recall him.

The Embattled Senator revealed this on Twitter Friday evening, while also sharing a photo of a copy of the court paper.

Dino Melaye

He alleged that the recall letter collated and sent to INEC on Thursday were being signed by fictitious, dead and none existing persons in his senatorial district.

Dino Melaye

Continue Reading

Trending