Connect with us

news

DSS crackdown: Judgements that landed judges in trouble

judges-300x163

As controversy continues to trail Friday night’s arrest of judges by officers of the Department of Security Service (DSS), indications have emerged that their judgments on Anambra, Zamfara, Kogi and Ekiti states governorship tussle may be the bone of contention.

The raids were carried out by agents of the DSS in Abuja, Port Harcourt and Gombe and the judges affected are of the Supreme Court and Federal High Court.

Daily Sun research has unveiled some of the cases the judges handled in recent times.

Excerpts:

Justice John Okoro of the Supreme Court 

Anambra PDP leadership crisis: The INEC had filed a case to the Supreme Court seeking clarification on its ruling on the January 29, 2016 that reinstated Mr. Ejike Oguebego as the Chairman of the PDP, Anambra State chapter.

Following the judgment of the Supreme Court recognizing the Oguebego- led state Executives of the PDP in Anambra, controversy ensued as to whether some serving lawmakers from the state and National Assembly who were not on the list submitted by the Ejike Oguebego-led state executive had been sacked by the court.

INEC said it was confused because the beneficiaries of the judgment had approached it to issue certificate of return to them as lawmakers representing the state.

It was based on this that INEC approached the apex court for some clarifications.

But delivering ruling on the application, Justice John Okoro said the issue of primaries was not included in the appeal that came before it even as it was still pending at the High Court, before primaries were held.

He pointed that the Supreme Court had ruled severally that only the National Executive of a party can forward a list to INEC, and since INEC said it was the National Executive that did that, and not the caretaker committee, then there was no contest.

Justice Okoro said that the dispute on whether the Certificate of Return should be withdrawn from the serving lawmakers and given to the list of candidates of the Oguebego faction was not an issue before the court and that the court never made any pronouncement to that effect.

Mr Oguebego had sued on behalf of themselves and others including Mr Chris Uba, who is the Anambra South Senatorial zone’s candidate for the apex court to determine who were the legal and validly nominated candidates of the party to stand for the last general elections for the party in the state.

The faction said that going by the ruling, the list of nominated party candidates in the last election from the Oguebego-led executive of the Anambra PDP is the only one to be recognised by the INEC.

Zamfra guber tussle: Justice Okoro also delivered judgment affirming the election of Abdulazeez Yari of All Progressives Congress (APC) as governor of Zamfara State.  Justice John Okoro-led panel of six judges held that the petition lacked substance.

Mr. Okoro said the appellant must also relate each of the documents to the specific area of the case in respect of which documents were tendered. He added that the appellant ought to have shown that figures, representing over-voting, if removed, would result in victory for the petitioner.

Kogi guber tussle: Justice Okoro was also one of the seven-man panel of the Supreme Court who sat on the disputed Kogi State governorship election that upheld Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello’s election. He delivered the lead judgment in the third appeal filed by the African Democratic Congress (ADC) read by Justice John Okoro, while Justice Musa Datijo Mohammed read the lead judgment in the appeal by the Labour Party (LP).

 Justice Sylvester Ngwuta of Supreme Court 

Rev King’s death sentence: He delivered judgment in the celebrated case of the convicted General-Overseer of the Christian Praying Assembly, Chukwuemeka Ezeugo, a.k.a Rev. King

In a unanimous judgment, a seven-man panel of Justices ‎of the apex court led by Justice Walter Onnoghen, upheld the death sentence that was earlier handed to Ezeugo by the Lagos State High Court.

Consequently, the court in its lead verdict that was delivered by Justice Sylvester Ngwuta, dismissed the appeal the convicted clergy lodged before it.

Justice Ngwuta who noted that “the ‎facts of the case could have been lifted from horror film”, resolved all the 12 issues Ezeugo raised in his appeal.”

Ekiti guber: Justice Ngwuta delivered the lead judgment in the disputed  governorship election in Ekiti State, between the APC and Governor Ayo Fayose.

In a lead judgment delivered by Justice Ngwuta, the Supreme Court upheld the earlier decisions of the Court of Appeal and the Ekiti State Governorship election tribunal, which had both ruled that the petition challenging Fayose’s victory lacked merit.

Justice Ngwuta dismissed the appeal filed by the petitioner-the APC and resolved all four arising from the appeal against Fayose’s victory.

Justice Ngwuta’s latest judgment was the Kogi State governorship election petition delivered on September 30, 2016  where the court gave its reasons for its decision affirming the election of Governor Yahaya Bello.

In the said judgment, the Supreme Court  said it dismissed the appeal of James Faleke of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Kogi governorship elections because the reliefs sought were an “aberration, not known to law.’’

Justice Ademola Adeniyi of Federal High Court

Justice Adeniyi has delivered a number of judgments and prominent among them is the illegal arms case brought by the Federal Government against three Lebanese nationals, including co-owner of Amingo Supermarket, Mustapha Fawaz, and owner of the popular wonderland recreation centre. In a 16-count charge, the government had specifically alleged that Fawaz who is equally the owner of Wonderland Amusement Park Resort in Abuja and his compatriots were members of the military wing of a Lebanon based terrorist organization, Hezbollah.

Government had further alleged that Thahini, who it said had attempted to escape from the country via a Middle East airline, was deeply involved in terrorism financing in the country.  During the hearing of the case, Government counsel, Mr. Simon Egede called 10 witnesses and maintained that the accused persons were in charge of the operations of Hezbollah in Nigeria and tendering a total of 25 exhibits in the course of the trial.

Among the exhibits admitted against them by the court included guns, cartridge belt holders with ammunition, pellets for Air Rifles, 150 cartridges, 158 rounds of cartridges,  two bound copies of still pictures of arms and ammunition that were allegedly discovered in one of their premises at No 3 Gaya Road, off Bompai Road in Kano, two video CDs and witness statements.

Other arms allegedly uncovered at the underground bunker owned by the suspects were anti-tank weapons, rocket-propelled guns and anti-tank/anti-personnel mines.

According to the security operatives that conducted the search, the arms and ammunition were properly concealed with several layers of concrete and placed in coolers, drums and bags neatly wrapped. The 3rd accused who was convicted, Roda, was not only apprehended inside the bunker where the arms were recovered, but also confessed that he was commissioned by another Lebanese who is an in-law to Fawaz,  Abdalhassan Tahir, currently at large, to be servicing the guns.

But in his judgment, Justice Adeniyi dismissed the 16-count criminal charge that was preferred against the Lebanese co-owner of Amigo Supermarket, Mustapha Fawaz, by the Federal Government.

However, the court found the 3rd accused person, Tahal Roda, guilty on two counts of criminal conspiracy contrary to section 1(14) (a) (i) of Miscellaneous Offences Act, CAP M17, LFN, 2004, and sentenced him to life imprisonment on each of the counts, stressing that his sentence should run concurrently.  Equally discharged by the court yesterday was another Lebanese, Abdullahi Thahini, who was arrested at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport on May 11, 2013, and the sum of $61, 170, recovered from him.

In his judgment, trial Justice Adeniyi, upheld their argument, maintaining that the prosecution, failed to prove the terrorism allegation against them beyond every reasonable doubt. Justice Adeniyi held that there was no evidence before him to prove that Nigeria has proscribed Hezbollah as an international terrorist organization.

Case on defected PDP lawmakers to APC: Justice Adeniyi also gave judgment in the case of defected lawmakers wherein, he gave an order of perpetual injunction restraining the lawmakers who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), to the All Progressives Congress, APC, from effecting any leadership change in the House of Representatives.

The PDP had on January 7, 2015 instituted a suit seeking to restrain the House of Representatives from altering the composition of its leadership.

The party had commenced the action following the defection of 37 lawmakers, who won election on its platform, to the opposition APC. The defection had initially given the APC a slim majority in the House. The majority was later reversed when some APC lawmakers decamped to the PDP.

Anambra senatorial election case: The recent judgment from Justice Adeniyi was the protracted Anambra State PDP leadership crisis where he affirmed the sanctity of the process that led to the election of Stella Odauh, Andy Uba, Mrs. Margery ‎Okadigbo, Chris Azubogu and other members of the National Assembly from Anambra State.

The judge dismissed the originating summons filed by Okonkwo and his cohorts.

He consequently held that since Ubah, Oduah, Okadigbo and others were nominated by the PDP’s NEC, their nominations remained valid.

Conversely, the judge ruled that Annie Okonkwo and 43 others nominated by the PDP’s state exco in Anambra were not validly nominated and they could therefore not lay claim to the election.

To support his position, the judge cited the Supreme Court’s judgement in the same matter which was delivered earlier this year.

Okonkwo had dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission before the court. However, 20 others including the PDP, Ubah, Oduah, Okadigbo, Azubogu‎ and others whose interest would be affected by the case applied to be joined and were dully made parties to the suit.

Justice Ademola dismissed the suit saying it was an abuse of the processes of the court.

In the judgment that lasted for about an hour, Justice Ademola held that the plaintiffs’ claim that they were the rightfully nominated candidate of the PDP in the National and State House of Assembly election in March and April 11, 2016 could not stand in the face of the law because they were unlawfully nominated by the state executive of the party. The court held that it has been established by the Supreme Court that the power to conduct primary election, nomination of candidates and submission of list of candidates to the INEC was vested on the National Executive Committee (NEC) of political parties.

The judge said, in the instant case the plaintiffs, having emerged from a primary election conducted by the state executive of the PDP, submitted themselves to an act of illegality and as such could not seek legal backing for such a nomination.

The trial judge referred to the Supreme Court judgment of January 29, 2016 and the ruling of the apex court delivered on February 24, 2016 where the issue of the powers of the PDP NEC and the state executive committee was ventilated to the effect that the state organ of the party had no power under the constitution of the party and the Electoral Act to nominate candidates for the purpose of general election.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

news

12-year-old boy kills landlady as condition to be initiated into a cult

Ethiope East Local

A 12-year-old boy, who allegedly robbed and killed his landlady at Abraka, Ethiope East Local Government Area, Delta State, yesterday, was among those paraded for various offences by the state Police Command, yesterday.

 

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Zanna Mohammed, who briefed reporters on the arrest of over 60 kidnappers, robbers, murderers, cultists and ritualists in the last three weeks, said the teenager confessed that he committed the act because a cult group told him that one of the conditions for initiation was that he must have been involved in a criminal act.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Super Falcons striker, Asisat Oshoala, comes to Falz defence with regards to statement about glorifying fraudsters

Asisat Oshoala

Nigerian professional footballer, Asisat Oshoala, who plays as a forward in the Chinese Women’s Super league for Dalian Quanjian F.C., took to her Instagram to express deep concern about how people are now proud to be fraudsters.

 

 

In Falz’ defense, she insisted fraudsters shouldn’t be glorified.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zimbabwean Church leader in s*x scandal as photos naked photos and sex acts with 33 girls is exposed

Church leader
A Zimbabwean church leader, Nyasha Light Nyatsungo is enmeshed in a sex scandal and might also be facing legal action, after his ex-girlfriend flooded social media with his nude photo.
It was gathered that the Nyatsungo allegedly sent a nude picture of his Cape Town based ex–side chick, Shingi Mavenge, to his other girlfriend only identified as Beula who later broadcasted it on social media.
According to H-Metro, in an apparent fit of rage, Mavenge posted a WhatsApp chat she had with Nyatsungo’s wife identified as Nyasha Nhahumbi as well as a group chat with some of her former lover’s concubines.
According to Mavenge, she has gotten information that Nyatsungo has at least 33 girlfriends and has ditched his wife of eight years.
She adds that Nyatsungo bedded a girl who was their neighbour as well.
Mavenge said that the church leader’s wife revealed that they even consulted their local pastor in Mutare who failed in his attempts to mend Nyatsungo’s ways.
According to H-Metro, Nyatsungo, a married father of two, has denied ever circulating the picture, labelling Mavenge as a bitter woman whom he just flirted with on Facebook and nothing more.
“This Nyasha guy must be stopped in his tracks. He is going to pay for all the damage that he has done to me. He was the only one who had that leaked picture and I am shocked why he would forward it to some other girl,” fumed Mavhenge who is working on taking legal action.
 
“I started dating this guy in 2015 and never knew he was married. He lied.”  fumed Mavenge yesterday.
“That guy is full of lies and at some point, we opened a group chat with his wife and some of his girlfriends. He normally targets single mothers” added Mavenge.
H-Metro was furnished with six other cellphone numbers of his girlfriend that include Fadzai, Mutsa, Essy, Juliana, Barbra among others. Mutsa confirmed she once had a relationship with Nyatsungo have since terminated it since she discovered he was married.
Mavenge confirmed they met once in Johannesburg when she had to fly from Cape Town to meet her man sometime in April.
“That night he didn’t even have money. I had to pay the R800 for the accommodation as he had no money. He wanted to have sex with me but I flatly refused. He even wanted it without protection and I said No. he looked terrible with clothes in a plastic shopping bag. I want to write a letter to Pastor Rex who is the head of (the church) in Harare so that this guy be stopped with his tricks and lies,” added Mavenge.
When contacted over the phone in Mutare Nyatsungo confirmed he knew Mavenge but never had a relationship with her.
“I know her and we once flirted on Facebook. We never had a relationship as she is alleging. I don’t know why she is bitter. I haven’t seen the nude pictures she is talking about but I heard about it from Beula. We live in a democratic country. She can go ahead and sue me if she feels her rights have been infringed upon. All the allegations she is making are false and I don’t know her motive in trying to tarnish my image,” said Nyatsungo.
He said he was still with his wife whose phone rang without response yesterday afternoon. Despite his denials, H-metro was furnished with pictures of Nyatsungo and Mavenge, the time they met in April.

Continue Reading

Trending