Connect with us

news

30 years after, Fawehinmi, activists, want case reopened

dele-giwa-231x300

Lagos, Oct. 19, 2016 (NAN) A three-decade-long botched probe of Dele Giwa’s death has triggered a call for fresh investigations and prosecution of suspects in the high profile murder by lawyers and activists.

Mr Sumonu Oladele Giwa was killed on Sunday, Oct. 19, 1986, via a lethal mail delivered to him at his Adeniyi Jones Avenue residence in Ikeja.

Giwa was the founder of the Newswatch magazine which hit the newsstand in 1984 and worked with his team — Ray Ekpu, Dan Agbese and Yakubu Mohammed.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that after he was bombed into extinction, a lawyer and human rights activist, the late Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), filed series of applications before the court for the prosecution of the murder case.

In one of his applications, Fawehinmi had requested the Attorney-General of Lagos State for a certificate, endorsing him as a private prosecutor to handle the case.

Fawehinmi died in September 2009, while the case remained inconclusive.

Lawyers, including the eldest son of the late legal icon, Mohammed Fawehinmi, were unanimous in the call to launch a fresh investigation into the journalist’s death.

They say it is a settled principle of law that time does not run against the state in criminal trial.

“There is a dire need to re-open investigations into the murder case of Giwa; the police should conduct investigations without further delay.

“Up till now, no arrests were made by the police. I believe the case should be re-opened,”  Fawehinmi told NAN.

Another Lagos human rights lawyer, Mr Festus Keyamo also shared the views of Fawehinmi, insisting on a conclusive probe into the cold-blooded murder and prosecution of suspects.

He said: “When a case has to do with murder, it is imperative that until the suspects or perpetrators of the act are arrested and prosecuted, investigations cannot be closed.

“All over the world, so far as the perpetrators of a crime have not been arrested, the files cannot be closed.

“It is my submission that those behind the murder must be brought to justice before you close the case.”

Mr Ogedi Ogu, an activist-lawyer of the People’s Development Initiative Foundation, also told NAN that the crime should not be swept under the carpet.

“It is an elementary principle of law that time does not run against the state in criminal cases of this nature; the death of Dele Giwa was a `rude shock’ to all of us and so is the inconclusive nature of the case.

“It is also unfortunate that justice was not served, in spite of the efforts of the late Chief Fawehinmi.

“For those of us in the struggle for the emancipation of peoples in Africa and Nigeria in particular, the murder of Giwa remains a pain in our necks.

“We shall continue to call on the government and its agencies, as well as the office of the Attorney General, to bring this case to a logical conclusion,” he said.

According to Ogu, the circumstances surrounding the death of Giwa must be resolved not only for the family, but also as a mark of respect to humans, particularly in a democracy.

A constitutional lawyer, Mr Spurgeon Ataene, urged the Federal Government to direct the Attorney General of the Federation to revisit the case.

He said the most important thing to do was to collate fresh and cogent evidence which could lead to a possible conviction in the court of law.

“With the anti-corruption posture of the present administration, I am optimistic that it will keep the police and the judiciary on their toes.’’

To Mr Adebayo Ayodele, non-prosecution of such a case has cast a slur on the country’s justice system.

He said he was saddened that 30 years after the brutal murder of Giwa, the perpetrators had yet to be brought to book.

“It is simply distressing and disgusting; it is quite sad that Giwa’s murder, the first of its kind in the country, is yet to be resolved and perpetrators yet to be brought to justice.

“The journalist and others like him have lost their lives doing what they believed in and have passion for.

“The case should be re-opened since it does not fall under statute of limitation; it is not too late for our leaders to do the right thing.

“The perpetrators are still alive and are still walking free in the country.”

According to him, for a country to experience peace, it must ensure that there is equal right, fairness and judicious dispensation of justice.

Ayodele insisted: “There cannot be peace where and when there is no justice.

“The rich cannot be above the law when they kill or maim others, while the poor who stole a tuber of yam because he is hungry will be sent to prison for several years.

“My fear and caveat is that the case may never be reopened because of the faulty justice system in Nigeria and the general corrupt nature of our country.”

‎Also contributing, Mr James Alabi said: “Injustice to one is injustice to all.

“Giwa’s  case should be reopened just as the current Federal Government has shown interest in the murder case of the late Justice Minister, Bola Ige.

“The dead is gone, but for those of us still alive should always seek that justice is practically done to serve as a deterrent to others.’’

On the fiat for the re-opening of the case, Mr Chibuikem Opara, put the blame at the doorstep of the Attorney General (AG) of the Federation.

“Gani Fawehnmi could not prosecute the case because he was a private prosecutor; he needed the fiat of the AG.

“Even when the fiat is given, there is a law in Lagos State prohibiting a private prosecutor from trying indictable offences except perjury.

“The case can be reopened by the AG or anyone with the fiat of the AG also if any fresh evidence is presented,” Opara told NAN.

House 25, Talabi St., off Adeniyi Jones Avenue, Ikeja, was a Mecca of some sorts on Sunday, Oct. 19, 1986, when life was snuffed out of Dele Giwa in his prime at age 39.

The ace journalist would have turned 68 years today if the parcel bomb delivered by merchants of death to his then 19-year-old son, Billy, had been rejected.

Giwa’s colleague, Newswatch’s London Bureau Chief, Kayode Soyinka, who was with him at the time of the tragic event, reportedly suffered perforated eardrums.

Giwa died at the First Foundation Hospital, Ikeja, where he was rushed to after the explosion.

Born on March 16, 1947 to a poor family working in the palace of Oba Adesoji Aderemi, the then Ooni of Ife, Giwa  attended Local Authority Modern School in Lagere, Ile-lfe.

When his father moved to Oduduwa College, Ile-Ife as a laundry man, he gained admission into the school.

Dele Giwa had travelled to the U.S. for his higher education, earning a B.A in English and Communication Arts from Brooklyn College in 1977 and enrolled for a graduate programme at Fordham University.

He worked with the New York Times as a news assistant for four years after which he relocated to Nigeria to work with Daily Times.

Later, in 1984, Dele Giwa and the trio of Ray Ekpu, Dan Agbese and Yakubu Mohammed founded Newswatch and the first edition was distributed on Jan. 28, 1985.

A 1989 description of the magazine said it “changed the format of print journalism in Nigeria and introduced bold, investigative formats to news reporting in Nigeria”.

The murder occurred in the first few months of the administration of Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, who took power in Aug.1985. (NAN)

Edited by Dele Akinsola/Dele Bodunde

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

news

12-year-old boy kills landlady as condition to be initiated into a cult

Ethiope East Local

A 12-year-old boy, who allegedly robbed and killed his landlady at Abraka, Ethiope East Local Government Area, Delta State, yesterday, was among those paraded for various offences by the state Police Command, yesterday.

 

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Zanna Mohammed, who briefed reporters on the arrest of over 60 kidnappers, robbers, murderers, cultists and ritualists in the last three weeks, said the teenager confessed that he committed the act because a cult group told him that one of the conditions for initiation was that he must have been involved in a criminal act.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Super Falcons striker, Asisat Oshoala, comes to Falz defence with regards to statement about glorifying fraudsters

Asisat Oshoala

Nigerian professional footballer, Asisat Oshoala, who plays as a forward in the Chinese Women’s Super league for Dalian Quanjian F.C., took to her Instagram to express deep concern about how people are now proud to be fraudsters.

 

 

In Falz’ defense, she insisted fraudsters shouldn’t be glorified.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zimbabwean Church leader in s*x scandal as photos naked photos and sex acts with 33 girls is exposed

Church leader
A Zimbabwean church leader, Nyasha Light Nyatsungo is enmeshed in a sex scandal and might also be facing legal action, after his ex-girlfriend flooded social media with his nude photo.
It was gathered that the Nyatsungo allegedly sent a nude picture of his Cape Town based ex–side chick, Shingi Mavenge, to his other girlfriend only identified as Beula who later broadcasted it on social media.
According to H-Metro, in an apparent fit of rage, Mavenge posted a WhatsApp chat she had with Nyatsungo’s wife identified as Nyasha Nhahumbi as well as a group chat with some of her former lover’s concubines.
According to Mavenge, she has gotten information that Nyatsungo has at least 33 girlfriends and has ditched his wife of eight years.
She adds that Nyatsungo bedded a girl who was their neighbour as well.
Mavenge said that the church leader’s wife revealed that they even consulted their local pastor in Mutare who failed in his attempts to mend Nyatsungo’s ways.
According to H-Metro, Nyatsungo, a married father of two, has denied ever circulating the picture, labelling Mavenge as a bitter woman whom he just flirted with on Facebook and nothing more.
“This Nyasha guy must be stopped in his tracks. He is going to pay for all the damage that he has done to me. He was the only one who had that leaked picture and I am shocked why he would forward it to some other girl,” fumed Mavhenge who is working on taking legal action.
 
“I started dating this guy in 2015 and never knew he was married. He lied.”  fumed Mavenge yesterday.
“That guy is full of lies and at some point, we opened a group chat with his wife and some of his girlfriends. He normally targets single mothers” added Mavenge.
H-Metro was furnished with six other cellphone numbers of his girlfriend that include Fadzai, Mutsa, Essy, Juliana, Barbra among others. Mutsa confirmed she once had a relationship with Nyatsungo have since terminated it since she discovered he was married.
Mavenge confirmed they met once in Johannesburg when she had to fly from Cape Town to meet her man sometime in April.
“That night he didn’t even have money. I had to pay the R800 for the accommodation as he had no money. He wanted to have sex with me but I flatly refused. He even wanted it without protection and I said No. he looked terrible with clothes in a plastic shopping bag. I want to write a letter to Pastor Rex who is the head of (the church) in Harare so that this guy be stopped with his tricks and lies,” added Mavenge.
When contacted over the phone in Mutare Nyatsungo confirmed he knew Mavenge but never had a relationship with her.
“I know her and we once flirted on Facebook. We never had a relationship as she is alleging. I don’t know why she is bitter. I haven’t seen the nude pictures she is talking about but I heard about it from Beula. We live in a democratic country. She can go ahead and sue me if she feels her rights have been infringed upon. All the allegations she is making are false and I don’t know her motive in trying to tarnish my image,” said Nyatsungo.
He said he was still with his wife whose phone rang without response yesterday afternoon. Despite his denials, H-metro was furnished with pictures of Nyatsungo and Mavenge, the time they met in April.

Continue Reading

Trending